Cat A, UKATA Registered Training Providers – Asbestos Awareness.
If you are working on buildings that were built prior to the year 2000, there is a possibility that asbestos will be present. Category A, Asbestos Awareness can assist and will help you to avoid the risks of asbestos. The Approved Code of Practice L143 (work with materials containing asbestos) suggests that:
“Asbestos awareness training is required to be given to employees whose work could foreseeably expose them to asbestos. In particular, it should be given to all demolition workers and those workers in the refurbishment, maintenance and allied trades where it is foreseeable that their work will disturb the fabric of the building because ACMs may become exposed during their work.”
The Cat A course objective is to provide an awareness and develop the knowledge amongst employees as regards the hazards and risks posed by asbestos containing materials (ACM’s). The course further gives an overview of the legislative measures in place to permit employees to safeguard themselves and others affected by work activities
On successful completion of this course, delegates should:
- Have an increased awareness of the nature and properties of asbestos and its effects on health, including the increased risk of lung cancer for asbestos workers who smoke;
- Be familiar types, uses and likely occurrences of asbestos in buildings;
- Know how to avoid the risks from asbestos by understanding;
- Know where to obtain information on asbestos in premises prior to commencing work;
- Know what to do if suspicious materials are found;
- Be able to use appropriate workplace precautions, including the risk assessment process, or seek advice on workplace precautions, in respect of the risks of asbestos;
- Undertake work activities in a safe manner and without risk to themselves or others.
- Have an awareness of the general legislation in relation to health and safety and asbestos in particular.
- Procedures to be followed when coming into unintentional contact with ACM’s and an understanding of the appropriate emergency arrangements.
The training itself is half a day including a multiple choice test. Successful participants will be awarded a UKATA Asbestos Awareness certificate of training. To Book, please contact us.